Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Little Something Special



This is the chandelier that hangs from the ceiling in the middle of my dinning room.

I think its darling.

But what is really special about this chandelier is every morning when I open the blinds the sun shines through the window and pierces each little crystal. This causes tiny rainbows to flood our entire down stairs!

The first morning this happened you would have thought we all discovered a treasure chest of rare gems!

This morning I sat at the kitchen bar eating breakfast and drinking my coffee. All the while enjoying the fabulous prisms that slid across the walls of the house. As the sun travels up in the sky the colors dance around into different places of the walls. I had a huge oval rainbow under my chair, and Steve had one right in the middle of his shirt, makes it hard to walk away.

As we all sat there enjoying the fleeting phenomenon, my Emma said, "This is really something special that happens at our house." And I agree.


My sweetheart, Steve sent me this cell phone picture the day he discovered the "happening" Of course he knows what I love!





6 comments:

  1. There's a daydream for you! Steve obviously knows what you like!

    A chandelier? Holy cow, you must live in a mansion! That chandelier would take up half of my ground floor! Great photogaph by the way... you must have been 'living on the ceiling' to take that one. Which reminds me of the Irish electrician; Sean D'Olier - I can say that because I am Irish.

    I think I'll stop there. pretty special house,
    all the best
    Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel,
    I was actually standing on the table and I can assure you the chandelier is rather small. It measures just 18" in diameter! It sure has a big impact though!

    I get the Irish joke but maybe because I share some of that Irish blood and some of the English blood too!

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelley, your post got me thinking about some of the beautiful natural phenomena that light and its interactions with things, brings to us - rainbows, aurora borealis, halos etc.

    My own personal favourite of such things would have to be crepuscular rays - sun rays, sun rays, God beams. Call them what you like but to me there's something about these beams of light breaking through clouds / trees / foliage that makes them majestic.

    Best wishes,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    I AGREE! How beautiful are they when they occur over the ocean??! Another one of my favorites are the motes of dust that glide through sunshine from a window!

    Some many wonderful little miracles if we just take to time to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kel,

    Thanks for using my little cell photo :) It was so impressive how sharply the rainbows were cast that morning, the first thing I thought of was ROY G. BIV from science class and it was so cool to be able to see each color separated from the others and so up close for admiring all of it both separate and together. I agree with David about the rays cast by the sun, they are so amazing. I still have the cell photo from Linda Lane Beach in San Clemente that cold autumn afternoon when there were just explosively brilliant rays out over the ocean, it was really amazing, much like you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thank you honey, that was really sweet of you! I love you too. Send me the other cell picture.

    ReplyDelete